At the age of just 19, pop sensation, Billie Eilish, has had a string of chart hits, including the massive global number one “Bad Guy”. Her 2019 album When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? reached number one in the album charts of more than 20 countries.
She has won countless awards, is heading towards 100 million followers on Instagram and has even penned a James Bond theme tune. But forget all that! Is Billie Eilish vegan? That is the question on everyone’s lips (right?) and it is the issue we’ll be looking at here.
Billie Eilish Is Vegan
Well, this could be a rather short article because, yes, Billie Eilish is indeed vegan. We have looked at some other celebrities, such as Sir David Attenborough and Ricky Gervais where the picture is far more complex. We also have a feature on vegan sports stars and whilst many have been vegan at times in their lives, or followed a vegan diet, knowing for sure quite how vegan some of them are is not always easy.
However, when it comes to Eilish we can say with a good degree of certainty that she is vegan. It is widely reported that she was raised a vegetarian and in a Montreality interview she explained how becoming vegan was easy for her due to her vegetarian upbringing. She said it meant she never missed meat and indeed that she has never eaten meat in her life. “Why would you eat an animal when you can just eat some chips?” she joked. We cannot be sure exactly what sort of vegan diet she follows but from the sounds of it might not be the healthiest! However, what we do know is that she went vegan sometime around 2014.
Her Reasons for Going Vegan
She posted the following on Tumblr and we’d say this is pretty definitive (despite her apparent aversion to capital letters and punctuation):
i went vegan like four years ago. there were a lot of reasons. i love animals and i just think there’s no point in creating something out of an animal when the animal is already there. leave animals alone. damn. also im lactose intolerant and dairy is horrible for your skin and my skin is VERY aware of that.
Lactose intolerance is just one of many health reasons for going vegan but it is clear from the post above and the singer’s activism on animal issues that she cares about more than just her dermatology! She has spoken out most vociferously about the dairy industry but also against wool and fur industries too.
Awards & Documentaries
In 2019, she won PETA’s Best Voice For Animals award “for her online activism, sharing with her 40 million Instagram followers how minks suffer when they’re killed for fur slippers and mink eyelashes and how sheep are mutilated in the wool industry.”
She is also listed as an executive producer on They’re Trying To Kill Us, a documentary from the maker of What The Health and Cowspiracy, two great vegan documentaries, John Lewis (AKA, The Badass Vegan).
“Why People Hate Vegans”
Whilst she is vocal on a lot of animal rights issues and her veganism itself, she has been keen to stress that she does not want to be critical of others. In an interview with 3FM she said that she has her “own reasons for not eating it (meat)” and her “own feelings of wanting to save animals and save the planet and whatever”.
However, she also emphasised that “I’m not gonna force anybody to do that (go vegan)” and said that vegans who are too vocal and critical are “why people hate vegans.” Which rather answers the exact question we ask elsewhere on the site, Why Do People Hate Vegans?!
Conclusion: Billie Eilish Is 100% Vegan!
As said, when it comes to the Bad Guy star, there is no doubt whatsoever: Billie Eilish is 100%, bona fide vegan! She has stated it herself very clearly on numerous occasions, including recently. She has spoken critically of various non-vegan industries and is an activist for a range of vegan causes. As a child she was raised a vegetarian and has explicitly said that she has never eaten meat. Taken together, all of these things make it abundantly clear that Eilish is as vegan as they come!
Who Is Billie Eilish: 10 Facts
Okay, so we know she’s vegan and we know she sings a few hit songs but what else should we know about Billie Eilish? Here are 10 things to give you a head start in those unavoidable Zoom quizzes!
- Name – Her full, real name is Billie Eilish Pirate Baird O’Connell.
- Brother – Her brother is Finneas (Baird) O’Connell. Known just as FINNEAS, the older sibling has written and produced music for many stars, including his little sis.
- Mother – Her mum is actor Maggie Baird who has appeared in numerous TV shows and films including The X-Files, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Six Feet Under and Bones.
- The Name’s Eilish, Billie Eilish – Well, it’s actually Billie Eilish Pirate Baird O’Connell but this fact is about Bond (James Bond). Eilish scored her first UK number one single with No Time To Die, the much-delayed Bond film of the same name.
- Belieber – Eilish was a massive fan of Justin Bieber as a kid.
- Don’t Judge Me – Her trademark baggy attire is so she cannot be judged on her body and people cannot comment on it.
- Tourettes – She has Tourette Syndrome and experiences physical tics.
- Sporty & Spice – Eilish is a fan of Spice World, only discovering the band through the film, which she has watched “like 40 times” and is a big fan of Sporty.
- The Office – The office (US version) is her top TV choice.
- Stream Queen – As of March 2021, she has three songs (and counting) with one billion plus streams on Spotify: Bad Guy (1.7bn), Lovely (1.3bn) and When The Party’s Over (1.1bn).